Dr. Wilson Silungwe serves as Executive Director for ZITHS, a job he has held since December, 2010. Prior to that, he served as Director of Studies for the Institute. Dr. Silungwe has worked in the realm of academics for the last 12 years having served as Senior Lecturer, Head of Department for Journalism and Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences of Rusangu University. He holds a Bachelor of Mass Communication from University of Zambia, a Master of Arts in Communication from University of South Africa, a Master of Arts and a Doctoral degree in Leadership from Trinity Graduate School and Theological Seminary in Indiana, United States of America. Currently, Dr. Silungwe is completing two academic programs: Master of Mass Communication at University of Zambia and a Doctor of Philosophy in Communication at University of South Africa. His PhD research involves the implications of cultural diversity on communication dynamics and organisational performance at the UNWTO. Dr. Silungwe is a recipient of an honour award from the National Omicron-Psi Honour Society of America. He has published a book entitled Culture, Communication and Intercultural Interaction, by Lambert Publishers. At ZITHS, Dr. Silungwe presided over the legal transformation of the Institute from Hotel and Tourism Training Institute Trust (HTTI) to the Zambia Institute for Tourism and Hospitality Studies (ZITHS). The transformation has given the new Institute the legal mandate to offer academic programs all the way up to PhD. Dr. Silungwe has vehemently advocated for staff development and has spearheaded linkages with international renown universities such as Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne University Institute for Research and Training in Tourism, Hong Polytechnic University School of Hotel and Tourism Management, Gazi University Faculty of Tourism, Macau Institute for Tourism Studies, Seychelles Tourism Academy and the International Institute for Research in Special Interest Tourism. Dr. Silungwe drove the accreditation agenda ensuring ZITHS was accredited by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation Themis Foundation (UNWTO.TedQual), the highest accolade in tourism education in the world under the UN system. ZITHS under Dr. Silungwe has also attained membership to the International Association for Hotel Schools (EUHOFA), Association for Hotel and Tourism Schools in Africa (AHSTA) and is accredited by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). Dr. Silungwe also serves in the following capacities:
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Business of Copperbelt University School of Business.
- Reviewer for the Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism.
- Contributor to the Springer Encyclopedia of Tourism.
- Board Member of the Zambia Tourism Agency Board, and Chairs the Grading and Industry Standards Sub-Committee.
- Chair of the Board of Africanza Lodges and Restaurants, a subsidiary company of Copperbelt University.
- Council Member of the Hotel Managers’ Registration Council of Zambia.
- Member of the UNWTO Focus Knowledge Network.
- Member of American Academy of Religion
- Member of the Projects Committee of Lake Road PTA School.
- External examiner for the graduate school, Zambian Open University
- External supervisor for the graduate school, Adventist University of Africa.
- Adjunct lecturer at Rusangu University, Lusaka.
He is married to Dr. Atangambuyu Silungwe and together they have a daughter, 12, and two sons, 8 and 7. Dr. Silungwe loves reading, researching and travelling.